In an article written by a colleague, Marty Caldwell, titled Corporate Vision and How It Creates Sales Success, he reminds us how mission vision and values impact not only to sales but to all areas of an organization. Corporate Vision can also serve to attract the right people to your company. The phrase “Employer Branding” is getting used more often today. If you aren’t familiar with what it is, take some time research it, and learn how your organization implements it.
What is “Employer Branding”?
Universumglobal.com defines Employer Branding as the process of promoting a company, or an organization, as the employer of choice for a desired target group — one which a company needs and wants to recruit and retain.
In a post by colleague Marty Caldwell, he starts with the idea, “Successful sales organizations begin at the top and execute at all levels.” He also says that that Vision, Mission, Values, Strategies and Tactics are the guidelines to sales success. I would suggest that same philosophy applies to how you attract, recruit and retain people for your organization. Today, really focus on how your mission, vision and values contribute to attracting and recruiting the right talent.
Nothing new about hiring A-Players? Think Again.
Everyone wants to hire “A-players”. But how do you define A-players? How do you define A-players for your organization? Do you have the ideal profile for A+ players?
If you don’t, then how do you ensure your hiring the right team? Some people say it’s just a gut feeling, others would say they have contracted the best we could find at the time. I would say, that’s all garbage!
In our eBook, The ART of Hiring A-Players Today, we posit the cost of mis-hiring and mis-promoting is 5X-24X the individual’s salary. DO THE MATH! For a $50,000 a year employee, that means you are losing $250,000 to $1,200,000 for each bad hire! A company we are working with just completed a sensitivity analysis indicating for them it was about $850,000 on an $80,000 average base. That’s scary, real world data.
Our book also asks why so many people and companies are just plain bad at hiring? The reason for mis-hires are many, but the top seven are:
- No clear definition of the hiring requirements. What are the MUST HAVE talents
- No clear ownership of the hiring process. Who is ultimately responsible for the hire?
- Reliance on one person to make the decision for the hire. Who else interviews?
- Hiring for functional attributes ONLY. Do they fit in with the team or group?
- Hiring based on interview only. Are they really who they say they are?
- Lack of thoroughness in the process. Who validated their claims? References?
- Poor on-boarding. How do we acclimate them to our team / company / products?
Attracting, Recruiting and Retaining – Starts at the Top
No need to panic; we all have had to fine tune this process, and have even stunk at it in the past. How can we make sure we learn the lessons and begin attracting, recruiting and retaining those A+ Players?
- 1. Define what an A-B-C player looks like within your organization and communicate throughout the ENTIRE organization. State what having the right players on your team means to the success of your organization, and what the wrong players mean to your detriment. Think in terms of $$$ and overall morale. Make it a part of your dialogue, both internally and externally. It must become a part of your culture, who you are and march your vision.
- Determine who is responsible for the process. How it will be implemented and communicated throughout the ENTIRE organization. Also, develop a training protocol for success. Define expected outcomes, and make sure they match your mission.
- Discuss expectations with everyone on the team and what attributes or skills are critical to measure for recruiting and retaining the correct people within the organization. This includes your recruitment firm. Also, define metrics that will measure the success of the organization and marry them to your values.
- Decide how you will find these candidates. Whether using internal or external sources. If using external sources, they must also be on board and understand how you define your hiring strategy for A+players. Also create tools, that make it easy for those interviewing and hiring so everyone becomes clear on how candidates will best compliment and execute team strategies.
- Train on the message and implement the tools. Measure your success using well defined metrics. Also, make sure you are getting feedback from your organization on a regular basis. If you think once a year is enough, you’re wrong. Ensure everyone is executing well on employer branding tactics.
There is so much more to be shared around this topic. If you would be interested in the eBook, “The ART of Hiring A-Players Today”, drop me a message, and I will make sure you get a FREE copy.
And share your ideas below on how a company can become the employer of choice through a well executed talent branding strategy.
Helping clients build world class teams as a recruiting leader in Oncology, Genetics, Diagnostics and Life Sciences
More from Scott Rivers
- 3+ Misconceptions Hurting Your Hiring TodayScott Rivers on LinkedIn
- 7+ Reasons an Executive Search Firm is Essential to Your Next HireScott Rivers on LinkedIn
- 5+ Metrics Every Hiring Manger Must Have on Their DashboardScott Rivers on LinkedIn
- Choosing Between Sales Skills and Technical Talent with ConfidenceScott Rivers on LinkedIn